The Winnipeg Blue Bombers watched what could have been their fourth win of 2010 Canadian Football Leauge season turn into loss number nine. Montreal quarterback Anthony Calvillo tied a team record with five touchdown passes including a 48-yarder to Brian Bratton on third and four with 78 seconds left to rally the defending Grey Cup champions past Winnipeg 44-40.



The Blue Bombers thought they had a turnover on that Alouettes go-ahead drive. Safety Ian Logan drilled Montreal slotback Jamel Richardson who fumbled the football at midfield. Brandon Stewart recovered the ball but the officials ruled the pass incomplete. The play was reviewed and the decision on the field was upheld. Two plays later Calvillo hooked up with Bratton on the go-ahead touchdown.





Winnipeg quarterback Steven Jyles completed 18 of 32 passes for 328 yards and four touchdowns. The first was a 39-yarder to Terrence Edwards late in the first quarter. Jyles then hooked up with newcomer Greg Carr for two long majors. The first covered 74 yards just 17 seconds into the second quarter. The second was a 71-yarder with 1:35 left in the first half. Carr left the game with a bruised  right leg injury early in the third quarter. He did not return. Jyles also found Aaron Hargreaves with an 11-yard touchdown pass midway through the third quarter.


Winnipeg quarterback Steven Jyles talked about the teams performance against the defending Grey Cup champions





The Winnipeg defence came up big early in the fourth quarter. Defensive end Odell Willis forced a Calvillo fumble. Linebacker Joe Lobendahn recovered and ran three yards into the Montreal endzone. That gave the Blue Bombers a 40-31 lead.


Winnipeg defensive tacke Doug Brown talked about their devastating loss to the Alouettes





Winnipeg's record is now 3-9. The Blue Bombers next game is against the team they are trying to catch for a playoff spot in the West Division. Winnipeg will meet the B.C. Lions on Saturday, October 2nd in Vancouver. The Lions are 3-8.