SNOW CLEARING AND SANDING EFFORTS UNDERWAY
Brandon, MB – Snow clearing and sanding efforts have been underway over the last several days by the City of Brandon’s Streets & Roads Section.
Crews have completed clearing snow on the P1A route and are now working in P1 routes, with special focus on addressing large snow drifts and ice-covered sections.
With the recent accumulation of 7 cm of snow, strong windy conditions have created several large snow drifts and ice-covered sections of the road, causing some areas to be impassable. Residents are asked to report any issues online at brandon.ca/report-an-issue or call 204-729-2285 to assist staff in locating the troubled areas.
During any snow event, the Streets & Roads Section appreciates your cooperation. Please respect the snow removal crews’ workspace and take an alternate route if possible.
If residents have any inquiries about snow clearing in their area, they can do the following:
- Visit snowmap.brandon.ca for regular updates
- Sign up for Text notifications at textme.brandon.ca*
- Call 204-729-2285 during regular business hours or after hours if they have any emergent concerns
*Text notifications will be used to notify you of snow clearing occurring within the city, as well as events specific to your zone.
About Snow Removal
Snowfall amount, density of snow, humidity, rising or falling temperatures, wind velocity and direction along with the time of year, all play a part in how the City’s Public Works Department responds to any particular snow event. If a Citywide plowing program is implemented, it will be completed immediately after a snow event.
In the event of an emergency, snow plowing equipment will be diverted in order to assist police, fire or ambulance emergency vehicles as required.
Driveway approach clearing will be taking place as well but may not be completed immediately after plowing.
Snow plowing and/or snow removal are conducted according to a priority system. When storms are continuous, or closely follow one another, operations will be repeated or continued on the routes of the highest priority, before moving onto routes of a lesser priority. These route designations include the following:
Priority One "A" (P1A)
- Include main routes to be plowed within 24 hours of the start of a snow event
- Main arterial streets throughout the city to ensure ease of travel and plowed streets are evenly spread city wide
- Once finished P1A route crews will move directly into P1 routes
Priority One (P1)
- Include routes that primarily consist of arterial and collector streets, City bus routes and some selected residential streets.
- The clearing of snow on these streets is the main emphasis of the snow clearing program following a snow event. City crews, however, may be clearing other streets while the P1 routes are being cleared.
- Depending on the conditions, these streets are normally cleared in the first 24 to 72 hours (about 3 days) after plowing commences.
For more information on snow removal, please visit brandon.ca/snow-removal.